Thursday, January 8, 2009

Caucasia

When first starting Caucasia I was bored with it because all it did was talk about two girls who liked to gossip and do their hair. As I read farther into the story I actually began to want to read more mostly because I have questions which I would like to see answered.
I have a few of questions about this book, for instance what did the mother do and what were the meetings about? Mostly likely these two questions are related. Right now I get the feeling that the mother was in on a plot to kill some politician. The reasons that I think this is because in the beginning of the book I remember Birdie walking in on the room of men with the guns in the bag. This was an awkward scene and I think the reason that the author put this in the story was to come back to it later. Another question I have is why did Shelia and Jesse do the same thing that Jane had done after hearing how she got caught by the feds. I want to know why the settled down in a small community. After the mother tells Birdie how Jane got caught why did they do the same thing, to me this seems kind of stupid.
After Birdie and her mother moved into the cottage house I started to notice how curious the landlords were being. At one point they basically interrogate Jesse asking her about her family in upstate New York and what her grandparents did.

4 comments:

Shauna L said...

I do agree with you to some extent.
I think the whole "on the run" scene is a bit...suspiscious...
however reading more into the book...I find it may be overexaggerated from what the real reason may be.
The reason I think this, is from the beginning, Sandy seemed kinda strange...and others described her as crazy. So maybe she's playing off her own stereotype...
I don't know why....
I never got the sense of a planning of a potential assasination...but it made sense to me.
Good post!

Alyssa O said...

yeah, the Marshs are really nosey, but I think that its either because Birdie is hanging around there all the time and they are just trying to get to know her, they are supicious because they didn't get any references, or because they are just snooty people who have nothing better to do than get into everyone's lives and gossip at tea parties

Kristi said...

Birdie's mom is being very suspicious. I really began to question if there actally was any danger until Birdie met up with Ronnie and started talking. I really hope the book will clear up what happened so that I'm not stuck wandering around thinking about it every now and again...

Rae Rae said...

Justin-

I think you are right about them going on this four year run from the feds. The mom almost seems like she is making something up just so she can get out of Boston. I do think that she is in some kind os trouble but nothing to the extend that she is making it out to be. I also feel bad that Birdie was dragged into this mess and the mom's messed up life. I also agree with you about the Marshes. They seem to want to know everything about them. They also seem very snobish because they are so rich. Well good post!!

-Rachel