Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hidden fees :(

Something that I have noticed which is very annoying is when a hidden cost springs up on you out of the blue. Throughout my senior year I have been taking a few classes at MATC since they are paid for by the school. When I first heard that the school would pay for me to get college credits I was like “Alright!” One thing that I didn’t take into account was to how much the books and materials cost. Yesterday was the first day of my second semester class. The teacher told us that we would be required to buy books and an external hard drive for this course so that we could complete the reading and assignments at home. I thought to myself books can’t cost that much; however, after I googled what book we needed I found out that it would cost $130.00 just for the paperback. I still am in shock that a book which isn’t even an inch thick can cost over $100.00. This is happening more and more whether it is a jacked up shipping fee for online shopping or some part you have to buy to fix something which when you bought it costs less than the part.

3 comments:

Keenen D said...

I agree, hidden fees are not cool at all. I'm sure we will all be in this situation soon here since college is in our near future. Looks like you have already hit that stage. Books are no joke with the cost. I hope I can find books from my parents and just use theirs to save some money.

Katie B. said...

This is totally true. I bought my cousin's Christmas present online and it cost more to ship the thing than it actually cost! How can that be? It would be interesting to find out exactly what happens to all that extra money we are paying.

Lindsey R said...

I agree! Hidden fees blow.

I have experienced that with my phone bills and internet charges.. when my internet it turned off!!
Its very frustrating.

Good blog!