Wednesday, December 17, 2008

SH-V

After finally finishing slaughter house five I was relived. Personally I didn’t like it, I had no idea why the author would skip ahead and back through time every paragraph to me it was annoying and confusing. I think that I would agree with the author that this book was a failure. Another thing that bothered me by this awful book was how he went to that alien planet, I could see the whole being abducted thing as being a metaphor for something. However bad this book may have been I did like one thing about it. The part I liked about it was how Kurt Vonnegut made death present everywhere this made me think of how horrible it would be to have to fight in a war. Also I liked how he told his war buddy’s wife, Marry how he would no portray war as some heroic and glorious game. I think that he did a great job of making war seem depressing since every one who was around Billy die.

5 comments:

chelsea said...

I would have to agree with you about this book being hard to comprend, becuse of all the time travel. But i did think there were some good parts to this book. your honesty is refreshing!

Kevin said...

I also did not like how the book jumped around so much. I think the idea of time being unimportant could have been shown with less of the jumping around. It would have made the book a little easier to read as well. I also agree with you that Vonnegut made sure to point out how war was not something where all the soldiers were heroes.

Kels said...

I agree with what you liked about the book. I feel like sometimes movies and other things make war seem wonderful and that everyone becomes a hero when that is not true at all. Compared to Metamorphosis, i liked this book better but it isn't by far my favorite book ever. And for the whole alien part... WHAT THE HECK!!!! this guy was losing it when he was writing this book if you ask me. Great blog :)

Alyssa O said...

Definitely agree that the book was a pain to read. The only thing I liked were the random things that repeated, but I didn't understand what any of it meant so w/e I guess. Maybe if we discussed more clearly instead of doing random stuff like the soldiers letters it would have made more sense

Rae Rae said...

Justin-

I, actually, liked this book. It wasn't my favorite book by any means but it wasn't terrible either. I also liked how the author jumped around a lot. It kept me thinking and on my toes. However, I understand how some people wouldn't like that too because it does get confusing. I also liked how the author was very open when talking about sex. To me that also kept the book interesting because everything it came up I was surprised by it.

-Rachel :)