Something that I don’t understand is why we are reading such stories as The Metamorphosis and Slaughter House Five if the authors themselves said they are crap. After reading Metamorphosis I was confident in the decision that Kafka had made as to call his work worthless because that’s what I thought about it. I don’t really seen the meaning in close reading these text’s if the authors themselves didn’t have anything to hide in them. I understand close reading is a good skill to have and all, but I think that it should be used in a text that has meaning not a horribly put together work such as the Metamorphosis.
Another thing that I have been wondering, which has completely nothing to do with literature is why do all girl’s blogs look all the same, the same font, same text and for the most part same color scheme?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I get where you are coming from about not having anything to close read in these stories, and I agree. But maybe by close reading these crappy stories we pick up on things that we may not have noticed otherwise. It might just be a way to get us used to it. That's my guess, but I agree, something with more depth would be nice.
And as for the blogs, I guess we all have the same good taste :)
Dearest my sweetheart justin,
You know that I could never be angry with you, but you really offended me with your slandering of Kafka. He had a lot to say with few words, and he was very influential to my life and growth as an adult. I hope this was just an outburst.
Love your Olliepop
Now Justin, what idea are you censoring now?
I agree with your question asking why we are reading books that not even the authors themselves like. I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of close reading either and I have a hard time enjoying stories when I have to dig and dig in order to get the meaning or the story. However, I think that SH5 is definetly better than Metamorphosis. The first chapter of SH5 was extremly boring but I think it is getting a little better as we go. Although I still agree with your question of why we are reading these books, or why they were even published if the authors themselves don't even like them. Great job!
Oh Justin, this sounds like something you would say. I know where you are coming from though because I didn't really like Metamorphisis. To me it didn't really have a point.
But i miss having physics with you! :)
Post a Comment