Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Poetry???

After we listened to that ridiculous so called poem in class with the men standing around in a circle making awkward noises I just thought, what is poetry really? So I looked the definition up on the internet and went through the various meanings of it only to discover that poetry could be pretty much anything you want it to be. By this I mean that if you think something is poetry then it is and if you don’t think it is then it isn’t. So pretty much I interpreted this to be, as long a something has a meaning to you then it can be poetry but if it means nothing to you then since it has no meaning it wouldn’t be poetry it would just be a random jumbling of words or noises. I think that this is a very controversial topic and can be interpreted in various ways. Some might argue and say that a random jumbling of words or noises can be poetry, but if they do they have to have some reason behind it, therefore having meaning to them and making it poetry.

2 comments:

Daniel DeBoer said...

You've made a mistake, in our society we don't care for meaning anymore. It's not a logical mistake however.

Jenny O said...

I could see you doing that circle poetry. For sure.