After I had read the first chapter in Metamorphosis I was completely lost. I had no clue that Gregory turned into a beetle, I just thought that he was having a lot of trouble waking up in the morning because it described what I feel like every day when I wake up for school.
When I found out that Gregory in fact, did turn into a beetle I thought to myself “…That would explain a lot”. Looking back on what I thought before I knew that Gregory turned into a beetle I now think that this whole beetle deal might be a huge metaphor for something else. As we learned in this class when you read something closely it can have almost infant amounts of meanings and interpretations.
My view on this story might be out there, but I think that turning into a beetle is another way of saying how hard it is to get out of bed in the morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
JUSTIN I AM TOTALLY WITH YOU! I didn't realize that he was a beetle until Natalie told us! So don't feel bad :) I do agree that this story has a secret message hidden behind it however. I want to believe that the message is more for Gregor's family rather than Gregor. From reading the book you get the impression that Gregor supported his entire family. Now that he is a beetle, the family has had to learn to take responsiblility. Especially his dad.
I'm going to disagree with Kelsey. I agree that it's interesting to note the irony over him supporting his family. But I feel what Kafka was going for is solely a story about alienation, I doubt he's going to try and fit the family into it. Especially with the book being so short.
I think I'd have to agree with Danny's post regarding to how Kafka wanted to show the alienation Gregor had from his family. While reading the story, I couldn't help but feel like Gregor was or at least had turned into the black sheep of the family.
It's odd though, because although Gregor was alienated from his family as a beetle, he still showed undeniable loyalty to them all. I just wish we knew more of the background of the family and Gregor's relationship before his transformation! >.<
As for Justin's original blog, I'd have to agree that I didn't catch on right away to him being a beetle. Once he said he couldn't turn on his side though, I think that's when I thought was turned into a bug. Then I was just hoping he got turned into a ladybug. x.x
Post a Comment