While I was drifting off in class I thought back to what Mr. Kunkle had told us about some people who thought Mr. Rogers was corrupting children and it was bad for them to watch because he tells everyone that they are special, when really they are not. This was interesting to hear because when you think about it, it is very true. I can see where these people are coming from because when a child hears this they might think that the world revolves around them.
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Mr. Rogers isn't wrong is his message though, just in his delivery. People are special, all of them, but not in the way that Mr. Rogers proposes. They are all different, which I realize is a completely different way of putting it. I feel Mr. Rogers used the correct premise, but reached the wrong conclusion.
Here's the article I was referring to, from the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB118358476840657463.html?mod=blog
As a side note, I really dig Mr. Rogers. Not so much from when I was a kid, but from when I was watching it again with my kids. That dude was pretty darn wholesome!
Your post made me think of the violence/video games debate. Something that surprises me about these ideas is that the parents of the kids are rarely mentioned. Granted, the media can affect how kids think and act. But when parents don't make an effort to speak with their kids about the messages they get from the media and their children go around thinking they own the world or can beat someone up without consequence, it seems that the parents may be more deserving of the blame than the TV shows and video games.
Mr. Rogers is a creep.. just the way he talks just freaks me out. But I would have to agree. I think that children, especially in todays world, think that they are better than everyone and are very disrespectful. So thanks alot Mr. R!
Post a Comment